"It is only after we lose everything, that we are free to do anything"

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Righteous Fury

A sea is crashing thunderously on rocks. Every impact sending a fine spray over the dark rocks as storm clouds brew ominously overhead. There is so much to achieve, so many goals to fulfill. I sit silently on the cliffs edge, watching the scene unfold before me. With every second the waves grow stronger as they constantly pound the rocks. The sea is almost black now, with a fine white covering the tips of its waves. It lashes out like a giant creature grasping for freedom. So much pain. Roars fill the air as the storm breaks. Thunder booming through the cold sky. I wait in the dim twilight, watching the monster cry out to the world. We were born as her protectors, but we have become her captors. Understanding leads to fear, and instead of welcoming the new world, we shy away, afraid of what it may bring. Lightning grandly arcs across the sky, proud and just. Such power to witness. Tears slowly roll down my cheeks. How could we have done this. The storm builds with righteous fury, and for some reason, we never saw it coming. The ignorant blunder blindly in the dark, searching hopelessly for a way out. But there is none. Years have passed, and despite her cries, we have shown her no mercy. All you pray for is a moment of silence, simply to gather your thoughts, but its is futile. The cliff face starts to crumble away, and I await the inevitable. Endless berating waves flay the rock like a whip, and it falls deep into the ocean. Buildings fall to depths we couldn't even imagine. A new darkness becomes apparent, but it is too late. I stare into the black torrent, and a monster stares back. Is this what we have become. The end is drawing near and we call upon all the wealth that we have amassed. Only at our time of true disaster do we see how meaningless it really is. You cannot eat money. But that wouldn't stop you trying. I am at peace now, as the last of the cliff falls and I plunge deep into the icy water. The cold is infectious and it spreads like a disease throughout my body. I slowly become numb, and the world seems a little kinder. I begin to gag, and my dying body starts to jerk in the desperate search for air. It is useless, with every second I am dragged even deeper into the darkness. I entertain the thoughts of a life beyond, but as always, it seems pointless to me. We could have avoided all of this, if only we had listened. But we never did. She cried out endlessly to the world, but no one noticed. The last bubble emerges from my now limp body, the last memory floating away. My last conscious thoughts are of those dearest to me, and the question as to whether they will share my fate. I am ready, and feel the oceans last embrace. All my memories, all my experience, all that i once knew, lost in an endless moment time.

No comments:

Post a Comment