"It is only after we lose everything, that we are free to do anything"

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Children are the future! (title to be sung in an empowering way)

So my english class, children's literature, is pretty fun. Sure, I don't really have any friends in it (well 'friend' friends at least, you get what i mean) but i still really enjoy it. One of the assessments for this class, is that we get to do a storytelling to some little kids at a day care centre. I'm not gonna lie, I had been looking forward to it. So its Tuesday, and I rock up all ready to go. We had to tell the kids a story, play a game with them, and do a craft. My book of choices was the forever classic 'where the wild things are' in my opinion, the greatest children's book known to man. I had a little game worked out, and for the craft they were all going to make a crown and be the king of their own wild kingdom. I was phyced.
Crafts in hand, I enter the room. Immediately, a crowd gathers. Questions are hurled at me from tiny mouths:
"Who are you?"
"Whats your name?"
"How old are you?"
"Why are you wearing a crown?"
"I have a watch!"
And bam! I'm in the thick of it. So i start worrying a little bit, because Leonie (my teacher) isn't there and I have to keep them occupied for a bit. But they were actually the cutest things ever. There honestly is nothing like having kids hanging from your arms and legs as you fall to the floor. Bliss.
Leonie soon arrives and we stop playing around. Every washes their hands after having just had some morning tea (good old nutritional fruit) and sit on the rug for storytelling. I should have probably mentioned this earlier that I was told there were ADD kids in the crowd. Yes indeedy. The storybooks opened and I begin to read. I'm halfway through the first sentence when the kids realize there's a picture of a dog on page. Again i'm bombarded with tiny voices:
"I have a dog!"
"I have two dogs!"
"My dog does that!"
"I chase my dog!"
To be truthful, it threw me a little. But like the courageous man I am, I persevered (cue shot of me looking into sunset). Luckily for little old me, they got drawn in and actually seemed to enjoy it. PHEW. Now for a few little games. After a good bit of a dance around and feeling like the biggest dork on earth, we play a pretty simple version of whats the time mr wolf. Predictably, it ends in me being yet again crash tackles by 15 small children. yep. I was p0wned by 4 year olds.
The craft ran pretty well despite a kid or two gluing everything to his face instead of the crown. Within half an hour it was done and dusted and i totally aced it. yeaboi!
Looking back on it now, it was by far the highlight of my week. There is something about little kids that is just so refreshing. They're honest, and at times, a little too honest, but thats what's so brilliant about them. As we grow up we're given all these rules to follow, etiquette to uphold, but they have non of that. Its really amazing how you can learn so much from such little people. Oh children, you are adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment